Google

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Bag Lady's Anonymous!


We all gathered....baggage in tow...we paraded into a dimly lit space. A few words were exchanged with those attending. Some of us made eye contact, briefly, but almost in an intimidating sense of the word. Martinis & Chardonnays in hand, we knew we were all there as victims of addiction. And as addicts, as soon as the anecdote hit the table, it would be "every man for himself"! I was just thankful I wore my flats!


Our addiction...handbags...and tonight's dealer...Nneka Hurley. So what was my drug of choice for the night?...She had the nerve to tease us with all kinds of totes and clutches. Arm Candy is the theme and true to name, it felt like a sugar rush, as each model provoked our taste buds of style. Others drooled, I plotted...how could I get to "the one" in the coolest way without drawing the attention of others to it?




Upon entering the establishment, we were given an array of treats, Nneka Hurley stationery, and a raffle ticket. "Ooh free bag..." Of course, anyone likes anything for free-99! So I tucked my raffle ticket away, in safe keeps of course, hoping I'd be a lucky handbag winner.

A few steps more, and to your right is one of those cakes that you hate to cut! Decorated to perfection in the Nneka Hurley logo! Later I learned that a friend of Nneka's did it all, freehand! I couldn't believe it! I'm still trying to take that in!


Then after the inaugural speech of Nneka, we delighted in a candy parade of delightful treats that sweeten the arms and tempt the hands. One after the other, models strutted with their arm candy under a sea of camera flashes and the touches of potential buyers. After it was all over, we tried to walk in a very relaxed, but hurried pace to the handbag table. All bags, available for sale at a discounted price! I walked around others. Watched as everyone searched and refer to their camera album, trying to remember the bag that got their attention. Finally I saw mine, it was already in the hands of a potential buyer. I saw her eyebrows raise and lips purse. She said to her friend, "I really like this bag!" But I sensed a hesitance and true to my prediction, she placed it back on the table. Pre-buyer's remorse will get you. But if you're like me and you've got invisible handbag antennas, you'll dispatch it to the home of your possession. So, in my smooth ploy, I reached for the bag in a very cavalier disposition. A smile and a nod from Nneka, I'm now the proud owner of a Nneka Hurley bag that is much~too underpriced afforded to the modesty of the designer. She's definitely mindful of the income brackets of her consumers (& friends) and tries to support the inalienable right of all of us, who see fashion as a one size fits all!



I'm happy with my purchase. No buyer's remorse here. I simply can't take my eyes off it. I can't believe that one of my friends made this beautiful work of art. I can't wait to rock it with a pair of bad denims, a white-tee, some kick-rock shoes and my beautiful hair. It's definitely going to get some serious attention throughout the 2008 and beyond! If I've got a sweet tooth, then blame my new handbag. True to the candy theme, there's a treat on the inside, A Note of Inspiration from Nneka Hurley. So what was on my card: Real faith is doing the best you can do and leaving the rest up to God.
I sighed when I read that and put my card away in my journal. Words to live by and a handbag to talk about. Whoever knew that arm candy could be so sweet?


Thanks Nneka...for your annointed hands!

P.S. I didn't win the handbag raffle! : (

No comments: