Google

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Girl with ALOT of BAGgage!

Don't let the hand on her hip fool you! This girl has a closet full of bag~gage!


Let me reminisce for a moment...

I remember in undergrad we were getting ready for one of so many cabarets. Myself and a mutual friend were standing around, maybe near the cafe' (the memory is fading, but you get the picture). Of course discussing what most young 20~somethings stressed-out about~what to wear? And this chick says, "Oh I'm piecing something together ." Or something close to that. I shrugged it off as a trip to the mall, probaby Express or Arden B, for something that somebody else may repeat on the day of the extravaganza. But then I learned she was actually making it...no, not getting it made, she was threading the needle. I couldn't believe it! On the night of the cab', I saw her ensemble and was immediately speechless. The girl was definitely a pre-Project Runway candidate!


Now, some odd years later, we're still friends. She transferred to another school, but we had mutual friends and stayed in touch. I ran into her at a fashion show in Richmond, Virginia, where she was showcasing her bags. Models accessorized each designers' label with Nneka Hurley handbags. I was impressed. She did all the manufacturing herself. As the daughter of a seamstress I do consider myself a connoisseur of fashion construction, and as I reviewed each bag, the stitching was absolutely stunning. After the fashion show, she went back to Philly and I went home, back to my nine to five. I prayed that she didn't give up on her destiny. Well, full speed to present day, she didn't. Nneka has a catalog of oooohs and ahhhhs, I'm just disappointed that a boutique buyer, or major department store buyer hasn't jumped on the bandwagon...yet. I know it's coming for her. She's well within her rite of passage to crossover into consumer heaven and make a black Friday out of it! Her bags are some adjective that pushes it beyond expectation. This bag lady is young, hip, down-to-earth, committed and more importantly, creatively blessed. A woman with baggage that doesn't add stress lines... gotta love that!
*Visit www.myspace.com/bagsbynneka for more!

No comments: