Google

Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Other Black President...

On the eve of the potential black president, Barack Obama, I'm crossing my fingers, my heart, and any other body part that could in some kind of superstitious way give Mr. Obama a boost into the White House. I'm not gonna lie, I'm terrified. Not for a black president, but for the Obama victory entourage en route to the White House. I know I'm not the only one wondering if there will be sharp shooter Klansmen on rooftops overlooking the White House that would put Lee Harvey Oswald and James Earl Ray to shame!

But hence the anxiety that comes with this election for all races, creeds, and sexes, I'm thankful that we do have one president that was as close to a Black president as it gets. If it hadn't been for John F. Kennedy introducing the bill to Congress that forever changed the scope of our nation, Barack nor Hillary, for that matter, would be standing at the platforms that they proudly speak on today. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was introduced to Congress by John F. Kennedy. After his assassination it was passed and signed by Lyndon B. Johnson. Everyone wants to give credit to both, but I say, JFK died for it, so he gets full credentials.

Barack Obama is a great candidate. He's very articulate and represents the future of a new generation of voters that believe in change and diversity. The Clinton camp has kind of pissed me off. Take that back! I'm still down with Bill, but Hillary has this "diva" attitude that withdrew her ballot from me. Also she's using, Bob Johnson, founder of BET, as the token black spokesmen for the African American vote. Isn't that the Uncle Tom calling the Blackface white! I know that seemed sort of harsh, but it put a horrible taste in my mouth when I heard Bob Johnson attack Barack Obama's character and his alleged cocaine habit during his college years, which was a desperate attempt to discredit his future residency at the White House. I guess Mr. Johnson doesn't even want to see Barack Obama walk around in the "big" house!

So, if Obama doesn't get it, then...one can say, Kennedy already filled the seat, just a lighter skinned version. He vindicated the African Americans of yesterday and today, from the chains of our past. John F. Kennedy will always be my black president. Election 1961, was definitely the election that mattered!

No comments: